Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (143 total)

  • Format is exactly "pdf"

fpc_1856-093.pdf
A history of the First Presbyterian Church, from 1840-1965, written by Clarence A. Andrews. The booklet covers 125 years of Church history, and includes photos of some of the founding members and pastors of the Church.

fpc_1934-059.pdf
Memorandum of Agreement between First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City and the Austin Organ Company for the purchase and installation of a new Austin Organ, 1934.

Tags:

fpc_1934-063.pdf
Letter from BG Austin to WW Mercer of the First Presbyterian Church regarding the receipt of payment and invoice for the new organ.

fpc_1940s-068.pdf
A letter from Guy Barnes detailing the McCready family. It mentions James M. McCready and Sarah McCready, who were early members of the Church in Iowa City. It also mentions Almon Barnes, who was ruling elder in the First Presbyterian Church in Scott…

fpc_1971-133.pdf
Letter from University of Iowa President Willard Boyd to Lyle Duncan about whether the University wished to purchase the church building

fpc_1973-136.pdf
Letter from University of Iowa President Willard (Sandy) Boyd to members of First Presbyterian Church regarding the University potentially purchasing the church building

fpc_1974-138.pdf
Letter from University of Iowa President Willard (Sandy) Boyd to church leadership, offering to purchase church building

fpc_1869-037.pdf
Handwritten contract between Sheets and Adams carpenters and the Board of Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church for a new spire. The contract details the amount to be paid and the conditions under which the spire will be built. Signed: Rush…

fpc_1868-039.pdf
Document recording a meeting where the First Presbyterian Church has been asked to consider a purchase of the Stone Church on Burlington St. by Rev. S. S. Howe. The document details the state of the building as well as its liabilities and any value…

fpc_1940s-069.pdf
A re-telling of Craig Schell's account of the Church's missing bell, by J. Kirkwood Craig. Schell's account was from 1911, and Craig is giving an abbreviated version of it in 1941, and adds his own recollections and information to the story.

fpc_1853-020.pdf
Report by Rev. John Crozier to the Board of Trustees of the Church, detailing two monetary claims against the Church. The first claim is held by Rev. Michael Hummer, former pastor of the Church, for $658.00. The second claim is held by Miss Legare,…

fpc_1853-021.pdf
Report by Rev. John Crozier to the Board of Trustees of the Church, detailing his attempts to settle Rev. Michael Hummer’s claim against the Church for unpaid salary. The report was written in Burlington, Iowa, where Rev. Crozier had gone to meet…

fpc_1890-046.pdf
Letter written by Rev. John Crozier to Rev. Edward Barrett in 1890. In it, Rev. Crozier talks about Rev. Michael Hummer at length, including information about his parents, his education, and his early days as a reverend. Crozier states that…

fpc_1977-144.pdf
Letter from church leadership to members who purchased church fixtures regarding a request to sell those fixtures to Old Brick Associates, who had purchased the church building

fpc_1847-009.pdf
Constitution of the First Presbyterian Church.

fpc_1890-045.pdf
Program created for the First Presbyterian Church’s Jubilee Anniversary, which took place September 11-13, 1890. The Church celebrated 50 years of organization with special services and activities. Rev. Edward Barrett was pastor at the time.

fpc_1934-065.pdf
A program created for the church’s centennial celebration in 1940.

fpc_1940-066.pdf
A pamphlet created for the centennial celebration of the First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City. Pamphlet describes the founding and history of the church.

fpc_1856-089.pdf
Litany of dedication for bible markers and a pulpit scarf that were presented as a memorial to Matthew Slemmons. Back cover has historical information about, and a photo of, Mr. Slemmons.

fpc_1856-090.pdf
Service booklet from 1956, marking the centennial celebration of the Church building (Old Brick).

fpc_1923-126.pdf
Minutes from March 20, 1923, meeting between Iowa State University Department Presbyterian Board of Education, First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City board, and Sessions of this church

fpc_1931-130.pdf
List of building fund bond coupons. April 1, 1931 – April 1, 1932

fpc_1975-140.pdf
Information and policies for church materials auction

fpc_1976-142.pdf
Specifications for receiving bids to demolish church building

fpc_1851-019.pdf
Cross Bill filed by the Board of Trustees, in response to Rev. Hummer’s Bill of Complaint against them. The Cross Bill has several questions that the Board compels the Court to have Rev. Hummer address, and also asks the Court to rule against Rev.…

fpc_1911-047.pdf
George Gibbs, writing as Secretary to the President of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints, responds to a previous letter from Walter Davis inquiring about the possibility of the First Presbyterian Church’s missing bell being in possession…

fpc_1850-101.pdf
Sermon from dedication of First Presbyterian Church

Tags: ,

fpc_1860-030.pdf
Sheriff’s Certificate, describing Sheriff Edmund Harrison’s posting of a specific lot of land for sale (block 86, lot 8, the northwest corner of Market St. and Clinton St.) in November, 1859. An added portion, written by N. Oakes and dated August…

http://history.icpl.org/import/Goosetown_001.pdf
The Goosetown Tree Walk begins at the Hickory Hill parking lot off of Bloomington Street and ends at the Hickory Hill park trees near Cedar Street. The tour walks along Bloomington, Reno, Center, Davenport, Pleasant, and Cedar Streets. Due to the…

http://history.icpl.org/import/Leaves_001.pdf
"Some Leaves You May See on a Tree Walk". Pamphlet displays leaf shapes for trees living in the Iowa City area. Pamhplet printed double-sided on 8.5x14" green paper with black ink. Trees include the following: Apricot, Eastern Arborvita, Mountain…

http://history.icpl.org/import/Longfellow_001.pdf
The Longfellow Tree Walk begins at the Longfellow school parking lot, heads west on Seymour, north on Clark, west on Court, south on Summit, east on Sheridan, and back up east on Seymour Street. Due to the changing nature of the neighborhood and…

http://history.icpl.org/import/North_Side_001.pdf
The North Side Tree Walk begins at North Market Square and walks along Johnson, Ronalds, Van Buren, Church, Linn, Davenport, Dubuque, Bloomington, and Dodge Streets. Due to the changing nature of the neighborhood and other natural occurrences, the…

http://history.icpl.org/import/Oakland_001.pdf
The Oakland Cemetery Tree Walk begins at the east end of Brown Street, walks along the Governor Street side of the cemetery, turns east when parallel to Church, heads back towards Brown, and turns and curves past past many of the walkways in the…

http://history.icpl.org/import/fumc_1941-09-25.pdf
Letter from Max Hess, chief engineer of the Kilgen Organ Company to Earl E. Harper detailing plans to install organ.

http://history.icpl.org/import/fumc_1941-11-27.pdf
Letter from Max Hess, chief engineer of the Kilgen Organ Company to A.M. McLeod regarding changes to the design of the organ chamber.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2