Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (329 total)

  • Language is exactly "English"

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0025a_ex.jpg
The Oathout Funeral Home was located at 336 South Clinton Street. It was destroyed in a fire on April 2, 1962, killing one person.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0024a.jpg
The Iowa City Yacht Club is located at 13 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0021a.jpg
This holiday greeting card was sent out by the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0019a.jpg
First regular meeting place of Iowa City Masonic Lodge #4, 1843, which was then Missouri Lodge #63, and the site of the formation of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Iowa of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, January 1844. Northeast corner of Clinton and…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0018a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Further historical information is on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0016a_ex.jpg
Fink's Bazaar was located in the St. James Hotel building at Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This photo was taken ca. 1890. Further historical information is on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0015a_ex.jpg
Issac A. Wetherby's Gallery, east side of Clinton Street, 1870. Wetherby was Iowa City's first photographer.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0014a.jpg
Monument documenting the early history of Iowa City. Placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Iowa City, May 4, 1935. A transcription of monument is on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0004a.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City, including the Pentacrest, University of Iowa campus, and the Iowa River.

Hotel_Jefferson_complete.pdf
Pamphlet. "Compliments of Hotel Jefferson." Scan of a photocopy of an original. Undated.

fpc_nd-147.pdf
Specifications for the construction of the spire of the North Presbyterian Church of Iowa City

fpc_1940-066.pdf
A pamphlet created for the centennial celebration of the First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City. Pamphlet describes the founding and history of the church.

fpc_1934-065.pdf
A program created for the church’s centennial celebration in 1940.

fpc_1934-057.pdf
Letter from HA Walker of the Austin Organ Company to Henry Fisk regarding special features and attributes of Austin Organs, to persuade Mr. Fisk to purchase one for the church.

fpc_1934-056.pdf
Letter from P.E. Nielsen of the Austin Organ Company to Henry Fisk regarding the proposal for organ installation at the church.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0077a.jpg
The Weaving Studio was located at 812 South Summit Street in Iowa City. Postcard sent to Eleanor Mash, postmarked September 9, 1977. Liberty Bell 13-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0054a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Madeline Johnson, postmarked September 9, 1915. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0022a.jpg
Images of Washington Street and the then-new Hotel Jefferson building, Iowa River, Iowa Avenue, and the University of Iowa's Hall of Natural Science. Envelope sent from W.P. Hohenschuh to Horne's Zoological Arena, postmarked September 5, 1916.…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0003a.jpg
Washington Street looking west from near Gilbert Street, downtown Iowa City. Original City Hall building on the far right of photograph. Postcard sent to Ruth Corneliusson, postmarked September 5, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

fpc_1940-085.jpg
Letter from Rev. Harmon Johnson of the Synod of Illinois to Rev. Harvey Mullan of the Rushville Presbytery, inquiring as to whether they might have any of records that are missing from the Church in Iowa City. At its founding, the Church was part of…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0065a_ex.jpg
Yetter's was a local department store located at 115 & 117 East Washington Street, downtown Iowa City. It closed in the 1950s. First postcard sent to Eva Weimer, postmarked September 26, 1921, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent…

fpc_1940-083.jpg
Letters written by Jacob Van der Zee--to the Office of the General Assembly in Philadelphia, and Rev. Harmon Johnson of the Synod of Illinois--inquiring about early records from the Church.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0011a_ex.jpg
The Burkley Imperial Hotel was located at 9 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Alicia to Luella Heschberger, postmarked August 9, 1906. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0038a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. The first postcard was sent from Katherine Jane to Louie J. Herman,…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0050a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Bud Louis, postmarked August 20, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0012a_ex.jpg
The Burkley Imperial Hotel was located at 9 East Washington Street. Postcard sent to Milton Smith, postmarked August 12, 1908. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0030a.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. First postcard sent to G.J. Oppelt, postmarked August 1, 1928, Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to G.H. Ryan, postmarked October 3, 1916, George…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0001a.jpg
Swaner Farms Dairy was located at 1109 North Dodge Street. Postcard sent from Swaner Farms Dairy to Reverend Charles Spencer Williams, postmarked July 26, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0052a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Jacob Reiss, postmarked July 25, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

hibbs_dtown_0056a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Carrie McCrory, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0049a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Mariam J. Royer, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0020a.jpg
The location of the Press-Citizen Building at the time of this postcard was at 319 East Washington Street and opened on 1937. Postcard sent to Betty Marble, postmarked July 13, 1941. George Washington 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0060a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Harriet Martin Dey to George Van Steinberg, postmarked July 11, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

fpc_1975-095.pdf
Contract to remove pipe organ from church

Tags: ,

hibbs_dtown_0066a_ex.jpg
Irish's University Business College was located at 205 1/2 Washington Street in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Fern Athey, postmarked June 24, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2