Iowa City Public Library DHP

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-003.jpg
West side of Clinton St. from College to Washington Streets. These buildings were soon torn down during urban renewal. Future site of the Old Capitol Mall. Businesses pictured: Little Caesar, the Vine, All Sports Inc. Slide printed August 1973.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-037.jpg
South Clinton Street before urban renewal. The fire on January 20, 1970, destroyed the Paper Place (130 South Clinton Street) and Things & Things & Things (132 South Clinton Street); addresses for these locations came from the 1966 City Directory.…

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-001.jpg
Looking north on Clinton St. from College to Washington Streets. West side of Clinton. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-012.jpg
Intersection of South Clinton and East Washington Streets.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_025.jpg
Building construction. Seiferts, the Airliner, Allen's. Slide printed April 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420188.jpg
Back of 402 South Linn St seen in this photo. Iowa City Catholic Grade School, formerly Saint Patrick's Parochial School, in the background.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420186.jpg
Back of 402 South Linn St seen in this photo.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420212.jpg
Photos taken of Riverfront from the west on Burlington St Pedestrian Bridge.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420211.jpg
Photos taken of Riverfront from the west on Burlington St Pedestrian Bridge.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0020a.jpg
The location of the Press-Citizen Building at the time of this postcard was at 319 East Washington Street and opened on 1937. Postcard sent to Betty Marble, postmarked July 13, 1941. George Washington 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0091a.jpg
The location of Prairie Lights at the time of this postcard (ca. 1980) was at 100 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420238.jpg
Corner of Dubuque and College Streets. Pre-Pedestrian Mall. Hotel Jefferson in the background.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-026A.jpg
Pedestrian mall, College and Dubuque Streets. This photo features the fountain informally called "Three Women Peeing," an unnamed sculpture created by Bob Satter and Brian Gutheinz. It was a tubular fountain on stepped brick platform, made with steel…

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-020.jpg
Pedestrian mall at South Dubuque Street after urban renewal. Hotel Jefferson, Plaza Centre One.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0090a.jpg
College Street, 100-Block in the pedestrian mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-036.jpg
People gathered in downtown Iowa City, slide printed September 1979

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420125.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_016.jpg
Pedestrian Mall and fountain. Dated August 1980. This photo features the fountain informally called "Three Women Peeing," an unnamed sculpture created by Bob Satter and Brian Gutheinz. It was a tubular fountain on stepped brick platform, made with…

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420130.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St. Subscribers paid one dollar for each brick in the fountain.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420129.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420128.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420127.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420126.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0003a.jpg
Washington Street looking west from near Gilbert Street, downtown Iowa City. Original City Hall building on the far right of photograph. Postcard sent to Ruth Corneliusson, postmarked September 5, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_032.jpg
Original Iowa City Post Office building. Current site of the Senior Center building. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420.jpg
The old City Hall building on Washington Street, demolished in 1962.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420209.jpg
The old City Hall building on Washington Street, demolished in 1962.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2