Iowa City Public Library DHP

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0065a_ex.jpg
Yetter's was a local department store located at 115 & 117 East Washington Street, downtown Iowa City. It closed in the 1950s. First postcard sent to Eva Weimer, postmarked September 26, 1921, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0015a_ex.jpg
Issac A. Wetherby's Gallery, east side of Clinton Street, 1870. Wetherby was Iowa City's first photographer.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0046a_ex.jpg
Hotel Jefferson building on the left. The first postcard sent to Earnest [Sorichovich], postmarked November 29, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Anna Anthony, postmarked August 3, 1927, George Washington 2-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420236.jpg
Photo looking west up Washington Street towards Clinton Street. Photo was taken between Dubuque and Linn streets. Hotel Jefferson on the left.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-20042067.jpg
During urban renewal. Future site of Old Capitol Mall. Graffiti: "Love the people not the needle!!"

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-954610a.jpg
First National Bank is on the northeast corner of this picture. Varsity theater is farther down the street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0079a.jpg
Wallick's was located at 118 Washington Street, Iowa City, Iowa. It first opened in 1910. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0027a.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Postcard sent from Carl Zetterwall to Alta B. Vaughn, postmarked November 15, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0026a_ex.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Details on the building are on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-20042056.jpg
Buildings and businesses featured: Old Capitol Building, Iowa State Bank & Trust Company and Auto Bank

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0010a.jpg
The Van Meter Hotel was located at 311 East Iowa Avenue. It was the predecessor to the Harmon Building, which was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Tower Place and parking ramp. Postcard sent from Alice Warren to Charles Leedham, postmarked…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0009a.jpg
The Van Meter Hotel was located at 311 East Iowa Avenue. It was the predecessor to the Harmon Building, which was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Tower Place and parking ramp. Postcard sent from M.G. Rodgers to Maude Coffee, postmarked May…

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_041.jpg
Project Number Iowa R-14. Plan dated June 1987.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0049a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Mariam J. Royer, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0073a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. Postcard sent to Mrs. Elmer Bright, postmarked February 19, 1910. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0072a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420145.jpg
These temporary buildings housed businesses during the process on Clinton Street.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420144.jpg
These temporary buildings housed businesses during the process on Clinton Street.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420143.jpg
These temporary buildings housed businesses during the urban renewal process on Clinton Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0083a.jpg
Sulfur Steam Baths was a Turkish Bath located at the corner of College and Capitol Streets. Postcard sent to Joe Anclaux, postmarked October 31, 1917. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0080a.jpg
Stewart's Shoe Store was located in the Hotel Jefferson building at 125 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420249.jpg
Corner of Linn and Jefferson Streets. Photo taken from the area of Gilbert and Market Streets

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420248.jpg
Corner of Linn and Jefferson Streets. Photo taken from the area of Van Buren and Market Streets

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0017a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Postcard written to Johnny Schminkey, dated November 30, 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0057a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Katie Reiss, postmarked October 23, 1907. Ben Franklin 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-20042040.jpg
South Linn Street intersection with East Washington Street downtown.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-021.jpg
Looking north on Dubuque St. from College to Washington Streets, west side of street. Hotel Jefferson in the background. Slide printed 1973. Note on slide, "PRESENT SIDE OF CITY PLAZA".

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-018.jpg
South on Dubuque and Washington Streets. Hotel Jefferson at the right. Slide printed March 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-027.jpg
South Dubuque Street and Alley. Future site of Plaza Centre One. Slide printed April 1965.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2