Iowa City Public Library DHP

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0094a.jpg
Photographs of downtown Iowa City Pedestrian Mall at College Street and interior of the Old Capitol Mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0093a.jpg
"The Spirit of Black Hawk" mural was located at Black Hawk Pedestrian Park, College and Washington Streets, downtown Iowa City. Mural design by Eric Christenson, detail of Black Hawk painted by William Heyer. Black Hawk Mini-Park, Iowa City,…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0092a.jpg
Black Hawk Pedestrian Park was located at College and Washington Streets, downtown Iowa City. Eric Christenson designed the "Spirit of Black Hawk" mural.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0091a.jpg
The location of Prairie Lights at the time of this postcard (ca. 1980) was at 100 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0090a.jpg
College Street, 100-Block in the pedestrian mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0082a.jpg
This image was taken in front of the Pentacrest.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0081a.jpg
This image was taken in front of the Pentacrest.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0080a.jpg
Stewart's Shoe Store was located in the Hotel Jefferson building at 125 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0079a.jpg
Wallick's was located at 118 Washington Street, Iowa City, Iowa. It first opened in 1910. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0078a.jpg
Coast & Sons was located at 10 and 12 South Clinton Street. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0074a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0072a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0071a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0064a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0063a_ex.jpg
University of Iowa's Close Hall building is in the background of this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0061a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0058a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0055a_ex.jpg
This postcard was printed by I.A. Wetherby's daughter Carrie around 1915 in an attempt to publicize his photography.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0053a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0051a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Florence Chaloupka.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0048a.jpg
The Englert Theatre and Jefferson building are on the left in this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0026a_ex.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Details on the building are on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0024a.jpg
The Iowa City Yacht Club is located at 13 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0019a.jpg
First regular meeting place of Iowa City Masonic Lodge #4, 1843, which was then Missouri Lodge #63, and the site of the formation of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Iowa of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, January 1844. Northeast corner of Clinton and…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0016a_ex.jpg
Fink's Bazaar was located in the St. James Hotel building at Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This photo was taken ca. 1890. Further historical information is on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0015a_ex.jpg
Issac A. Wetherby's Gallery, east side of Clinton Street, 1870. Wetherby was Iowa City's first photographer.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0004a.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City, including the Pentacrest, University of Iowa campus, and the Iowa River.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420209.jpg
The old City Hall building on Washington Street, demolished in 1962.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420208.jpg
The old City Hall building on Washington Street, demolished in 1962.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420130.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St. Subscribers paid one dollar for each brick in the fountain.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420129.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420128.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420126.jpg
View of the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, finished in 1978, with a focus on the fountain at the corner of Dubuque and College St.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2