1870 Document detailing Stone Church property
Document recording a meeting where the First Presbyterian Church has been asked to consider a purchase of the Stone Church on Burlington St. by Rev. S. S. Howe. The document details the state of the building as well as its liabilities and any value it might have had at the time.
The Stone Church was built around 1845, and was the meeting place for the New School Society of Iowa City. The congregation disbanded in 1866, and the building fell into disrepair. According to the Iowa Historical Record (vol. 15, p. 573) Rev. Howe, an early pastor of the New School, continued to live alone in the Stone Church for a time. The State Historical Society of Iowa was housed in the Stone Church from 1868 until 1882 or 1884, as well.
|Coverage||Iowa City, Iowa|
|Rights||Educational rights only|
|Collection||First Presbyterian Church|
|Tags||churches, first presbyterian church, Nicholas Oakes, Rush Clark, Samuel Storrs Howe, Stone Church|