Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

hibbs_dtown_0066a_ex.jpg
Irish's University Business College was located at 205 1/2 Washington Street in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Fern Athey, postmarked June 24, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

hibbs_dtown_0056a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Carrie McCrory, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington…

hibbs_dtown_0044a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Nena Louis, postmarked January 7, 1916. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

hibbs_dtown_0008a_ex.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City. Identified buildings include old City Hall building, demolished in 1962. First postcard sent from Lida and Mrs. McWilliams to Mrs. A.B. Thompson, postmarked November 1, 1915, George Washington 1-cent stamp. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0094a.jpg
Photographs of downtown Iowa City Pedestrian Mall at College Street and interior of the Old Capitol Mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0093a.jpg
"The Spirit of Black Hawk" mural was located at Black Hawk Pedestrian Park, College and Washington Streets, downtown Iowa City. Mural design by Eric Christenson, detail of Black Hawk painted by William Heyer. Black Hawk Mini-Park, Iowa City,…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0092a.jpg
Black Hawk Pedestrian Park was located at College and Washington Streets, downtown Iowa City. Eric Christenson designed the "Spirit of Black Hawk" mural.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0091a.jpg
The location of Prairie Lights at the time of this postcard (ca. 1980) was at 100 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0090a.jpg
College Street, 100-Block in the pedestrian mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0084a.jpg
The Iowa City Roller Rink was located at 309 South Dubuque Street. Postcard sent to Lucinda Maier, postmarked March 1, 1906. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0083a.jpg
Sulfur Steam Baths was a Turkish Bath located at the corner of College and Capitol Streets. Postcard sent to Joe Anclaux, postmarked October 31, 1917. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0082a.jpg
This image was taken in front of the Pentacrest.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0081a.jpg
This image was taken in front of the Pentacrest.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0080a.jpg
Stewart's Shoe Store was located in the Hotel Jefferson building at 125 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0079a.jpg
Wallick's was located at 118 Washington Street, Iowa City, Iowa. It first opened in 1910. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0078a.jpg
Coast & Sons was located at 10 and 12 South Clinton Street. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0074a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0073a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. Postcard sent to Mrs. Elmer Bright, postmarked February 19, 1910. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0072a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0071a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0065a_ex.jpg
Yetter's was a local department store located at 115 & 117 East Washington Street, downtown Iowa City. It closed in the 1950s. First postcard sent to Eva Weimer, postmarked September 26, 1921, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0064a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0063a_ex.jpg
University of Iowa's Close Hall building is in the background of this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0061a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0060a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Harriet Martin Dey to George Van Steinberg, postmarked July 11, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0058a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0057a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Katie Reiss, postmarked October 23, 1907. Ben Franklin 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0055a_ex.jpg
This postcard was printed by I.A. Wetherby's daughter Carrie around 1915 in an attempt to publicize his photography.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0054a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Madeline Johnson, postmarked September 9, 1915. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0053a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0052a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Jacob Reiss, postmarked July 25, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0051a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Florence Chaloupka.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0050a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Bud Louis, postmarked August 20, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0049a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Mariam J. Royer, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0048a.jpg
The Englert Theatre and Jefferson building are on the left in this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0046a_ex.jpg
Hotel Jefferson building on the left. The first postcard sent to Earnest [Sorichovich], postmarked November 29, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Anna Anthony, postmarked August 3, 1927, George Washington 2-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0040a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. Postcard sent from Mary Stemm to Emma Marolf, postmarked 1918. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0039a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. Postcard sent to Charlotte Johnson, postmarked June 22, 1916. …
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2