Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (168 total)

  • Tags: businesses

hibbs_dtown_0066a_ex.jpg
Irish's University Business College was located at 205 1/2 Washington Street in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Fern Athey, postmarked June 24, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

hibbs_dtown_0008a_ex.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City. Identified buildings include old City Hall building, demolished in 1962. First postcard sent from Lida and Mrs. McWilliams to Mrs. A.B. Thompson, postmarked November 1, 1915, George Washington 1-cent stamp. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0094a.jpg
Photographs of downtown Iowa City Pedestrian Mall at College Street and interior of the Old Capitol Mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0091a.jpg
The location of Prairie Lights at the time of this postcard (ca. 1980) was at 100 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0090a.jpg
College Street, 100-Block in the pedestrian mall, downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0089a.jpg
The location of Prairie Lights at the time of this postcard was 100 South Linn Street, Iowa City. Postcard sent to Gerry Mansheim, postmarked February 17, 1983. Dog and cat 13-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0088a.jpg
The location of the Haunted bookshop at the time of this postcard was 227 South Johnson Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0087a.jpg
The location of the Haunted Bookshop at the time of this postcard was 520 Washington Street at Ralston Creek, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0084a.jpg
The Iowa City Roller Rink was located at 309 South Dubuque Street. Postcard sent to Lucinda Maier, postmarked March 1, 1906. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0083a.jpg
Sulfur Steam Baths was a Turkish Bath located at the corner of College and Capitol Streets. Postcard sent to Joe Anclaux, postmarked October 31, 1917. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0080a.jpg
Stewart's Shoe Store was located in the Hotel Jefferson building at 125 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0079a.jpg
Wallick's was located at 118 Washington Street, Iowa City, Iowa. It first opened in 1910. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0078a.jpg
Coast & Sons was located at 10 and 12 South Clinton Street. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0077a.jpg
The Weaving Studio was located at 812 South Summit Street in Iowa City. Postcard sent to Eleanor Mash, postmarked September 9, 1977. Liberty Bell 13-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0076a.jpg
Friday's Barber Shop has been at its location at 217 North Gilbert Street since opening in 1968.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0074a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0073a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. Postcard sent to Mrs. Elmer Bright, postmarked February 19, 1910. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0072a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0071a.jpg
The Dresden China Store was located at 13 and 15 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City. A descriptive advertisement for the business is printed on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0065a_ex.jpg
Yetter's was a local department store located at 115 & 117 East Washington Street, downtown Iowa City. It closed in the 1950s. First postcard sent to Eva Weimer, postmarked September 26, 1921, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0064a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0063a_ex.jpg
University of Iowa's Close Hall building is in the background of this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0061a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0060a_ex.jpg
The First National Bank in Iowa City was located at 202 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Harriet Martin Dey to George Van Steinberg, postmarked July 11, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0058a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0057a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Katie Reiss, postmarked October 23, 1907. Ben Franklin 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0054a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Madeline Johnson, postmarked September 9, 1915. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0053a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0052a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Jacob Reiss, postmarked July 25, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0046a_ex.jpg
Hotel Jefferson building on the left. The first postcard sent to Earnest [Sorichovich], postmarked November 29, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Anna Anthony, postmarked August 3, 1927, George Washington 2-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0027a.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Postcard sent from Carl Zetterwall to Alta B. Vaughn, postmarked November 15, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0026a_ex.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Details on the building are on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0025a_ex.jpg
The Oathout Funeral Home was located at 336 South Clinton Street. It was destroyed in a fire on April 2, 1962, killing one person.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0024a.jpg
The Iowa City Yacht Club is located at 13 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0023a.jpg
At the time of this postcard, W.P. Hohenschuh owned a furniture store located at 20 South Dubuque Street. Sent to W.S. Pratt, postmarked December 30, 1906. Ben Franklin 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0016a_ex.jpg
Fink's Bazaar was located in the St. James Hotel building at Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This photo was taken ca. 1890. Further historical information is on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0015a_ex.jpg
Issac A. Wetherby's Gallery, east side of Clinton Street, 1870. Wetherby was Iowa City's first photographer.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0013a_ex.jpg
The Burkley Imperial Hotel was located at 9 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Mary to Frank Harding, postmarked December 9, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2