Iowa City Public Library DHP

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0040a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. Postcard sent from Mary Stemm to Emma Marolf, postmarked 1918. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/icpl-1975_001.jpg
Linn Street entrance to the Carnegie Library, June 1975

http://history.icpl.org/import/icpl-1975_002.jpg
Carnegie Library with east side addition, June 1975

hibbs_dtown_0044a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Nena Louis, postmarked January 7, 1916. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0057a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Katie Reiss, postmarked October 23, 1907. Ben Franklin 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0083a.jpg
Sulfur Steam Baths was a Turkish Bath located at the corner of College and Capitol Streets. Postcard sent to Joe Anclaux, postmarked October 31, 1917. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/icpl-1964_001.jpg
East side of Carnegie Library expansion (and parking)

hibbs_dtown_0008a_ex.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City. Identified buildings include old City Hall building, demolished in 1962. First postcard sent from Lida and Mrs. McWilliams to Mrs. A.B. Thompson, postmarked November 1, 1915, George Washington 1-cent stamp. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0027a.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Postcard sent from Carl Zetterwall to Alta B. Vaughn, postmarked November 15, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0046a_ex.jpg
Hotel Jefferson building on the left. The first postcard sent to Earnest [Sorichovich], postmarked November 29, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Anna Anthony, postmarked August 3, 1927, George Washington 2-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0017a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Postcard written to Johnny Schminkey, dated November 30, 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0010a.jpg
The Van Meter Hotel was located at 311 East Iowa Avenue. It was the predecessor to the Harmon Building, which was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Tower Place and parking ramp. Postcard sent from Alice Warren to Charles Leedham, postmarked…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0013a_ex.jpg
The Burkley Imperial Hotel was located at 9 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Mary to Frank Harding, postmarked December 9, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-821023.jpg
Clinton Street Looking South from Iowa Ave

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-9810313.jpg
Corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue, downtown.

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-95463a.jpg
Bremers store on the 100 block of East Washington Street, downtown.

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-95464a.jpg
Washington Street in the historic Paul-Helen building. The Englert Theatre is at the far left in the last picture.

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-95466.jpg
John Wilson’s Sporting Goods store, across the street, later moved to the 400 block of East College, then to Eastdale Mall and later to the Sycamore Mall.

http://heritage.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-954610a.jpg
First National Bank is on the northeast corner of this picture. Varsity theater is farther down the street.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420190.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420191.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420192.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420193.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420194.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420196.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/archive/import/JCHS-200420197.jpg
This fire occurred on March 22, 1963.

http://history.icpl.org/import/icpl-1963_003.jpg
Exterior of Carnegie Library, before north side addition

http://history.icpl.org/import/icpl-1963_004.jpg
Construction of north side addition to the Carnegie Library

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-001.jpg
Looking north on Clinton St. from College to Washington Streets. West side of Clinton. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-026.jpg
Corner of College and Dubuque, slide printed April 1965. Note on slide, "FUTURE SITE OF PLAZA CENTER I"

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-027.jpg
South Dubuque Street and Alley. Future site of Plaza Centre One. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/import/urban_8-034.jpg
Corner of East College and South Dubuque Streets before urban renewal. Strand Theater, Barbara's Bake Shoppe, and Sweeting Flowers. Future site of pedestrian mall. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_032.jpg
Original Iowa City Post Office building. Current site of the Senior Center building. Slide printed April 1965.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2