Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (315 total)

  • Tags: downtown

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0038a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. The first postcard was sent from Katherine Jane to Louie J. Herman,…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0036a_ex.jpg
The Masonic Temple is located at 312 College Street, Iowa City. First postcard sent to L.V. Bartlett, postmarked June 13, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Mary Larson, postmarked March 18, 1917, George Washington 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0027a.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Postcard sent from Carl Zetterwall to Alta B. Vaughn, postmarked November 15, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0026a_ex.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Details on the building are on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0024a.jpg
The Iowa City Yacht Club is located at 13 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0022a.jpg
Images of Washington Street and the then-new Hotel Jefferson building, Iowa River, Iowa Avenue, and the University of Iowa's Hall of Natural Science. Envelope sent from W.P. Hohenschuh to Horne's Zoological Arena, postmarked September 5, 1916.…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0020a.jpg
The location of the Press-Citizen Building at the time of this postcard was at 319 East Washington Street and opened on 1937. Postcard sent to Betty Marble, postmarked July 13, 1941. George Washington 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0019a.jpg
First regular meeting place of Iowa City Masonic Lodge #4, 1843, which was then Missouri Lodge #63, and the site of the formation of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Iowa of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, January 1844. Northeast corner of Clinton and…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0017a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Postcard written to Johnny Schminkey, dated November 30, 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0016a_ex.jpg
Fink's Bazaar was located in the St. James Hotel building at Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This photo was taken ca. 1890. Further historical information is on the back of the postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0015a_ex.jpg
Issac A. Wetherby's Gallery, east side of Clinton Street, 1870. Wetherby was Iowa City's first photographer.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0013a_ex.jpg
The Burkley Imperial Hotel was located at 9 East Washington Street. Postcard sent from Mary to Frank Harding, postmarked December 9, 1912. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0010a.jpg
The Van Meter Hotel was located at 311 East Iowa Avenue. It was the predecessor to the Harmon Building, which was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Tower Place and parking ramp. Postcard sent from Alice Warren to Charles Leedham, postmarked…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0009a.jpg
The Van Meter Hotel was located at 311 East Iowa Avenue. It was the predecessor to the Harmon Building, which was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Tower Place and parking ramp. Postcard sent from M.G. Rodgers to Maude Coffee, postmarked May…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0006a_ex.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City,including parts of University of Iowa campus. Buildings include East Hall Annex on the left and Close Hall on the right. First postcard sent from E.E. [Coah] to Bert [Coah], postmarked April 10, 1916, Ben Franklin…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0005a.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City, including the Pentacrest, University of Iowa campus, and the Iowa River. First postcard sent from Mrs. Werner to Gladys Ruth Ownby, postmarked April 3, 1951, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcarrd sent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0004a.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Iowa City, including the Pentacrest, University of Iowa campus, and the Iowa River.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0003a.jpg
Washington Street looking west from near Gilbert Street, downtown Iowa City. Original City Hall building on the far right of photograph. Postcard sent to Ruth Corneliusson, postmarked September 5, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_041.jpg
Project Number Iowa R-14. Plan dated June 1987.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_034.jpg
Paris Cleaners, Easyplace, Joe's Place. Dated July 1995.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_032.jpg
Original Iowa City Post Office building. Current site of the Senior Center building. Slide printed April 1965.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_031.jpg
Iowa City Catholic Grade School, formerly Saint Patrick's Parochial School, on the right. Slide printed August 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_030.jpg
Future site of downtown Pedestrian Mall. J.C. Penney's building, Carnegie Library, parking lot.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_028.jpg
Iowa Avenue, east from the Old Capitol steps. Slide printed March 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_027.jpg
Old Capitol and blue mural in the background.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_026.jpg
Future site of parking ramp downtown. Businesses pictured on South Dubuque Street 100-Block: J.C. Penney's, Iowa movie theatre, Piper's Candies, Blackstone Beauty Salon. Slide printed March 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_025.jpg
Building construction. Seiferts, the Airliner, Allen's. Slide printed April 1972.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_020.jpg
Temporary building constructed on South Clinton Street during Urban Renewal. Slide printed July 1973.

http://history.icpl.org/import/cic_016.jpg
Pedestrian Mall and fountain. Dated August 1980. This photo features the fountain informally called "Three Women Peeing," an unnamed sculpture created by Bob Satter and Brian Gutheinz. It was a tubular fountain on stepped brick platform, made with…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2