Iowa City Public Library

Browse Items (154 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Iowa City (Iowa)"

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0057a_ex.jpg
The location of the Johnson County Savings Bank at the time of this postcard was at 102 South Clinton Street, on the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington Streets. Postcard sent to Katie Reiss, postmarked October 23, 1907. Ben Franklin 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0055a_ex.jpg
This postcard was printed by I.A. Wetherby's daughter Carrie around 1915 in an attempt to publicize his photography.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0054a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Madeline Johnson, postmarked September 9, 1915. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0053a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0052a.jpg
The Johnson County Savings Bank Building was located at the corner of Washington and Clinton Streets in downtown Iowa City. Postcard sent to Jacob Reiss, postmarked July 25, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0051a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Florence Chaloupka.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0050a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Bud Louis, postmarked August 20, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0049a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Mariam J. Royer, postmarked July 15, 1914. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0048a.jpg
The Englert Theatre and Jefferson building are on the left in this image.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0046a_ex.jpg
Hotel Jefferson building on the left. The first postcard sent to Earnest [Sorichovich], postmarked November 29, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Anna Anthony, postmarked August 3, 1927, George Washington 2-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0045a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0043a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Nena Louis, postmarked January 7, 1916. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0042a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. Postcard sent to Katie Reis, postmarked March 4, 1916. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0041a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0040a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. Postcard sent from Mary Stemm to Emma Marolf, postmarked 1918. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0039a.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. Postcard sent to Charlotte Johnson, postmarked June 22, 1916. …

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0038a_ex.jpg
The Jefferson Building is located at 129 East Washington Street. It was built in 1913. In 1928, after this image was made, an additional two stories were built onto this building. The first postcard was sent from Katherine Jane to Louie J. Herman,…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0036a_ex.jpg
The Masonic Temple is located at 312 College Street, Iowa City. First postcard sent to L.V. Bartlett, postmarked June 13, 1923, George Washington 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Mary Larson, postmarked March 18, 1917, George Washington 1-cent…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0035a.jpg
The Elks building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0034a.jpg
The Elks building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. Postcard sent to Kit Steffy, postmarked June 21, 1910. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0033a_ex.jpg
The Elks' building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. First postcard sent from Paul Bastian to Verl Muckler, postmarked May 29, 1912, Ben Franklin 1-Cent stamp. Second postcard written in Czech and sent to…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0032a.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. Postcard sent to Fred Barnett, postmarked June 16, 1915. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0031a.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. Postcard sent to Clark Louis, postmarked June 15, 1939. George Washington 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0030a.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. First postcard sent to G.J. Oppelt, postmarked August 1, 1928, Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to G.H. Ryan, postmarked October 3, 1916, George…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0029a.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. First postcard sent to Othello Ray, postmarked January 31, 1913, Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp. Second postcard sent to Mary Jack, postmarked December 31, 1911, Ben…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0028a_ex.jpg
This building was located at the corner of East Washington and South Gilbert Streets. Postcard sent to Dorothy Wiess, postmarked February 4, 1909. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0027a.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Postcard sent from Carl Zetterwall to Alta B. Vaughn, postmarked November 15, 1937. Ben Franklin 1-cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0026a_ex.jpg
W.P. Hohenschuh's Mortuary was located at 13 South Linn Street, currently occupied by the Iowa City Yacht Club. Details on the building are on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0025a_ex.jpg
The Oathout Funeral Home was located at 336 South Clinton Street. It was destroyed in a fire on April 2, 1962, killing one person.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0024a.jpg
The Iowa City Yacht Club is located at 13 South Linn Street, Iowa City.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0023a.jpg
At the time of this postcard, W.P. Hohenschuh owned a furniture store located at 20 South Dubuque Street. Sent to W.S. Pratt, postmarked December 30, 1906. Ben Franklin 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0022a.jpg
Images of Washington Street and the then-new Hotel Jefferson building, Iowa River, Iowa Avenue, and the University of Iowa's Hall of Natural Science. Envelope sent from W.P. Hohenschuh to Horne's Zoological Arena, postmarked September 5, 1916.…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0021a.jpg
This holiday greeting card was sent out by the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0020a.jpg
The location of the Press-Citizen Building at the time of this postcard was at 319 East Washington Street and opened on 1937. Postcard sent to Betty Marble, postmarked July 13, 1941. George Washington 1-Cent stamp.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0019a.jpg
First regular meeting place of Iowa City Masonic Lodge #4, 1843, which was then Missouri Lodge #63, and the site of the formation of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Iowa of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, January 1844. Northeast corner of Clinton and…

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0018a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Further historical information is on the back of postcard.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0017a_ex.jpg
The St. James Hotel was located at the southeast corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This building burned down in 1916. Postcard written to Johnny Schminkey, dated November 30, 1913.

http://history.icpl.org/import/hibbs_dtown_0016a_ex.jpg
Fink's Bazaar was located in the St. James Hotel building at Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. This photo was taken ca. 1890. Further historical information is on the back of the postcard.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2